Affordable Housing & Protecting Tenants
The lack of affordable housing options, rise in evictions, and increase in the cost of living require that we have a leader who will take decisive action to solve our housing issues.
As a board member of one of the city’s oldest and largest affordable housing non-profits, Joshua is the only candidate with the hands on experience of building affordable housing.
Josh will build upon this work to alleviate our housing crisis by:
- Building more housing for everyone in our city—low-income, worker, artist, teacher and middle-income housing
- Quickly identifying underutilized spaces that could serve as sites for affordable housing
- Pushing our state delegation to reform the Ellis Act and Costa Hawkins to protect tenants from no-fault evictions
- Supporting policies that encourage the creation of new community land trusts
- Introducing legislation to give tenants the “right of first refusal” that would allow tenants to make a first offer when their building is put up for sale
- Protecting tenants from being put on “tenant blacklists” due to aggressive and unwarranted unlawful detainers lawsuits